POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Different error messages for same POV-file : Re: Different error messages for same POV-file Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different error messages for same POV-file
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 15 Mar 2000 21:18:56
Message: <38D04348.E90DFF94@hotmail.com>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> >
> > I have been a little bit worried about my use of semicolons.
> >
> > Earlier I have seen that too many missing semicolons can
> > cause crashes of POV-Ray (on my Windows 98 machine at home,
> > and if I remember right, also on my Windows NT4 machine at
> > work).
>
> This is new to me. You mean the machine crached? Or just POV quit parsing?
> Usually, missing semi-colons should only produce warnings (at least in the
> current version). Only in some macros have I seen actual errors caused by them.

I mean that as far as I remember, POV-Ray stopped executing and Windows
gave me an error message like:

This application has performed an illegal operation...

(When I restarted POV-Ray, reloaded the offending POV-file and tried
to run it again, I got the same crash. And when I thereafter added all
the
necessary semi-colons POV-Ray executed correctly again.)

Earlier I had not got used to typing semi-colons at the end of float
and vector declarations, so I saw these error messages once or twice a
month or so, but now I usually forget very few of the semi-colons, so I
seldom see these crashes.

If it happens again I will provide you with the offending POV-file.

Btw. Do you have any idea of how POV-Ray manage to give me several
different error messages after successive runs (without me altering
my code or any settings in POV-Ray) ?

For me this seems like POV-Ray is in error ...

(Or could my error trigger several error messages, where only a
random selected one is printed each time?)

The funny thing is that none of the keywords ('clock_delta', 'tan',
'on') that POV-Ray claims it found in a wrong place, appears in my
POV-file.

error: undeclared identifier expected but float function 'clock_delta'
found instead.

> > ... So now I am totally confused about semi-colons!
> >

> Semi-colons should only go after declarations of floats and vectors (colours can
> also be thought of as vectors).
> If you are declaring an array, it should not have a semi-colon:
>
> #declare MyArray=array[10]
>
> If the docs said otherwse, this is a typo. However, if you are declaring an
> element of an array, and that element is a float or a vector, it should have a
> semi-colon:

Thanks for clarifying!

> #declare MyArray[0]=11.5;
>
> See docs section "Declaring identifiers" for further reference.
>
> Margus

Regards

Tor Olav

--